Monday, April 28, 2014

Ready...Set...chica-GO

After some tearful goodbyes, yesterday morning, Craig and I headed to the airport.  My parents arrived a week early to get the routine down.  My mom will be running the Oregon Raymond ship while we're gone!  I leave knowing that my kids are in very capable and loving hands.  We miss and love you Emma and Luke.  Thank you mom, you are loved!  I'm not worried about my human kids, but I do worry about my 4 legged one!  We have a 10 month old chocolate lab that is going to be my moms biggest challenge!  He is, however, very protective.

              If you see this chocolate tornado (aka-hickory) on ebay...please rescue


Craig and I landed safely in Chicago and have now settled into our new "home" for the next three weeks.  After that, I will be inpatient and Craig will have this nice bachelor pad to call his own. It's a cozy, little one bedroom apartment in downtown Chicago, just a short walk from Northwestern.  It's not the Ritz, but it will do just fine for what we need.  If you're thinking of coming here for treatment, it's a great, affordable option.  DeWitt Place  Think Europe, think small!

I started my preliminary testing bright and early this morning.  First, my lungs underwent a pulmonary function test (good thing I quit my 5 pack a day cigarette habit yesterday!).  I had an echocardiogram, blood draw, chest x-ray and an electrocardiogram.  To make things easy, we had to be on floor 19 followed by floor 18,  followed by floor 4...  I was glad to hear that my heart was on the left side of my body and was indeed pumping blood...all good things.  The lab tech who drew my blood was an excellent stick and got me on the first try!  This doesn't always happen for me, so I was extremely happy.  I had already had a dental exam at home so that saved me another appt.  My dentist cleared me for transplant and I'm happy to report I have no signs of meth teeth!  I finished my testing just in time to meet up with Craig and his parents, Dave and Judy, who stopped by for a visit on their way back to Michigan.  It happens to be Dave's 77th birthday, so it was fun to share his day with him.  Our refrigerator and pantry are filled with wonderful things to eat and enjoy.  Judy thought of everything...even a DVD player!  You Rock!

Tomorrow, I have a vein check.  It sounds very interesting, especially when they told me it will take about 90 minutes.  I'm thinking you might be able to download my veins onto google maps for your viewing pleasure.  Back in my days as a nurse, I loved anything IV's...starting them, troubleshooting, changing them out,  difficult sticks, etc.  As it turns out, I happen to be a difficult stick myself  and am wondering after 90 minutes if I'll be handed a slip of paper that states; "FAIL, recommend you never get sick...no illnesses for you, ever!".  I could put a drinking straw in Craig's forearm, so maybe he can loan me one when they come calling. I look forward to seeing what new fangled gadgets they have for vein mapping.

Today I'm thankful for Craig.  I know many people face this treatment on their own, but I'm so glad I have him with me.  Within three blocks last night, we were asked for money, saw a hit and run and witnessed a man punch a car after it almost hit his friend in the crosswalk.  That's when I told him I was glad he was here.  We're so grateful to his partners for their understanding and support during my treatment.  He's kind of a great guy, if you didn't already know.  All of me, loves all of you, Craig Raymond!

~Veronica


7 comments:

  1. Oh welcome to Chicago...car punching, beggars and all! :) Looks like the weather will keep mellow so you don't feel like you're missing much!
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give Craig a big hug from us! I'm glad you're in good hands! We love you, V! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Day 1 down Veronica!!! Not that I'm counting or anything.
    Craig is one of the best guys I know and he definitely takes his marriage vows seriously. BTW, Craig, have a bottle of Yellow Spot waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you, Craig and the entire Raymond/Thunder clan...keep on keeping on and for crying out loud...drink some fluids and lift some weights...stick a warm pack on them...where could those veins possibly be?
    You will always be a great IV sticker...there must be a tough stick out there just waiting for you;) For real lady, GOOD LUCK and STAY STRONG! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to hear you are settling in as much as that is possible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle CalcaterraApril 29, 2014 at 2:13 PM

    Praying for you, Veronica:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you on this "journey". Sharing your blog with mom and dad while they are visiting. Glad Craig can be with you in Chicago. Love ya!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment