Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Day +1

Day + 1 they say is the worst, and thus far that seems to be accurate. It's not pain...hard to describe other than generalized "crummy-ness".  Craig and I have already walked twice today which seems to help. Mornings tend to be the toughest.  My white blood cell count is at 0.6...so is my absolute neutrophil count at 0.6.  Depending on the definition one wishes to use, neutropenia can be below 1000 or below 500. So my count at 600 is low enough that Craig has to stop bringing me fresh fish from Lake Michigan. There is a "farmer's market" on Tuesday at the Museum of Contemporary Art and I have to pass on the jars of honey, etc.  All joking aside, we have entered the "danger zone" so no fresh fruit, flowers, etc.  I will likely get a fever from the rabbit ATG (can happen several days out).  Visitors are required to wear masks now if they are not feeling well...but I get to wear one on our walks once I am below 500.  I see some fun mustache stickers on those!

My favorite respite is my morning shower and it always makes me feel better so that's the room photo for today. I think I could stay in there all day. It's bigger than the apartment.



The MS and CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating poly-neuropathy) patients are connected if they choose to be via Facebook groups due to folks like and George Goss and Barb Coppins!  They provide a wealth of information to those interested in HSCT. So today we get a knock on the door and in walks Wendy...who I "know" from the sites as mentioned above. She is from Florida and back for her follow up appointment.  She looks great, and was just visiting nurses and offering words of encouragement to folks right now.  It's nice to be able to see the long term success of this treatment right before your eyes.

So on what started out as a potentially "bummer" of a day deserved some positive pictures...one is the cool park/lounge on the 11th floor of the children's hospital. That's not public and even Craig doesn't go over there (lobby photography is one thing, sick kids is another)...the nurses on our floor don't go there either.  We have learned that they have play areas and all sorts of "nooks and crannies" for kids and families.  Apparently when the window washers have to do their thing they wear superhero costumes. Way to go window washers and Northwestern.   I hope to spot some in action...I think that is just too cool!



The other picture is out the lounge on my floor and you can see Lake Shore Park.  They play 
Chicago softball there, which Craig tells me is Mush ball (16 inch and softer) and they don't use gloves.  Apparently this more closely resembles the original game and is almost exclusively played in Chicago...except for (drum roll) Portland, Oregon. (Maybe it's easier to see and hurts less after
you've been to the microbreweries.) I can also see dogs playing in the park. All in all, not a bad prison.  I'm thankful that my immune system (or lack thereof) is safe here!




~Veronica



Northwestern Medical School 

3 comments:

  1. Yeah! One more day till you are cured! Love your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am encouraged by your strength through all of this. Curious though; how does this general-crumminess compare to the other crummies that you've faced so far? I don't recall anything pharmaceutically for an overall sense of blahh so your humorous and fun disposition must be all you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, I would take this temporary crumminess any day to be rid of MS and it's ever present effects of my body. Fatigue, vision loss, numbness to my left side, ringing in my ears, headache and weakness in my legs...just to name a few. That's just the disease itself, the drug therapies make you feel horrible and are rather painful to inject. Did I answer your question adequately?

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment