Sunday, June 8, 2014

Day 5 and 6

It feels a little like the movie Groundhog's Day around here...you wake up and it's the same thing... same lab draws, same antibiotics, same morning meds, same room, same walks...you get the idea. Thank you all for praying...I have had an uneventful course so far and I'm perfectly happy with boring and mundane when it comes to my hospital stay! Besides, Craig is entertaining.  My WBC's are holding steady at (nothing)<0.1,  and my platelets have dropped a little more and are at 75,000.  They won't transfuse until below 30,000, so maybe, just maybe, I'll be one of those (.1%) that don't need any transfusions at all.  Wouldn't that be fantastic. I had a mental lapse the other day and asked Craig to bring me a razor so I could shave my legs. His response had some words that may have been German or had some harsh consonants but ended with a definite "no".  It's kind of given me a little friendly competition with myself and my platelets.  If they ask me how I did it I would say that I've really tried to maintain a high protein diet here.  I have hard boiled eggs with almost every meal, so much so that the nice lady who brought my tray last night thought she had my order wrong. I'm not sure that English was her first language and Craig had a whole Saturday Night Live skit in the works but I'll leave that...Yes, I'm the crazy chemo gal who eats lots of hard boiled eggs. Walk, walk, walk...

The amazing Dr. Burt. They say he is going to win the Nobel prize...I know he will!

Speaking of my food being delivered...I have a dining-on-call friend...Craig knows about him.  His name is Juan.  Patients here order their meals by phone.  The dining-on-call operator tells you about specials, the afternoon smoothie selection, and takes your order.   I secretly hope that when I place my call, the beloved Juan (with his Barry White like voice) will answer when I ring for eggs! Even the nurses know about this guy's soothing, debonair voice.  He needs a radio show.  He never judges me, but accepts me for who I am... a bald, neutropenic woman who has a insatiable appetite for eggs!  I told him he was being mentioned in my blog today.  I know he was flattered...



Tell me about the hard boiled eggs, Juan!


Getting some continuing ed done


Yesterday, as I was sitting in my chair, I started to hear some lovely violin music being played.  The nurse told me that they have volunteers come in once a week. They stand outside by the nurses station and play for those patients who wish to open their doors and listen!  I was one for sure!  For a few moments, I felt so normal and was blessed by this beautiful, impromptu concert. Disney, classical, Cold Play...he was great. This is an emotional roller coaster with the meds, missing the kids, all of it...so, yes, I lost it when he played "When You Wish Upon A Star".  You all know that, for me, it's not about wishes and it's not about stars, but God, guiding me to this moment, opening doors for this treatment.  It was too perfect!


Today I'm thankful for socks. Weird, I know.  I think I mentioned in an earlier blog post that my very cool sister-in-law Rita sent me some socks.  Not just any socks...these socks are daily affirmation socks!  They tell me:  I'm Blessed, I'm Strong and I'm Awesome.  So I need look no further than my feet for a little motivation and a little hug!  I think I'm engrafting already!  Thank you Rita, and to all of you who bless me with your prayers, keep me strong with your words of encouragement and make me feel awesome by knowing your cheering me on from all different parts of the world.  I wish I could send you all a pair!









~Veronica


5 comments:

  1. You mentioned the socks before... now I get it. They are really cool. Our mutual friend is an egg fan also. It makes me grin; texting with her makes me think of you and communicating with you makes me think of you. As I learn more about you, I can certainly see why you two are friends. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Egg people need to stick together! Glad we have good friends in common!

      Delete
  2. Love the socks!!!!!!!!!
    I want some for middle school!!!!!!!! :)
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will gladly share with you my dear, sweet Emma! Love you forever and ever and all day long! love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Veronica and Craig! I've been busy with school and have not checked your site for a few days, but good Lord, you are a damned fine looking bald woman. Just sayin'--your head is shaped beautifully for the look. I would skip the hat. I'm serious. If you want hair, Craig can donate at least 3/4 of his for a wig and he'll still have a full head. Nice socks! Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment