Thursday, June 12, 2014

Day +9...and they come roaring back, day +10...freedom!

Amy, Dr. Burt's nurse practitioner had told us that once you begin to engraft, you're white count comes roaring back.  Mine did not disappoint.  My white blood cell count was .6 and my platelets were 160,000.  So apparently, last night, the first 100 called some friends and had an engraftment party in my hip, knees and low back.  I had some intense bone pain last night, but it was the best feeling knowing that it was for a good cause.  My body was making new white blood cells, pronto!  When Dr. Burt and his team rounded on me this morning, he informed me that they would check a blood count at 2pm today, and if my white count was above 1, and my platelets were still rising...I COULD BE DISCHARGED!

Dr. Burt, Amy (NP) Stem Cell Queen, Dr. I-Forgot-His-Name, Allison (NP)

So, around 2pm my labs were drawn and my white count was 1.8 and platelets were 180,000...and just like that, I was being discharged!  Amy came in to go over discharge instructions (stop eating sushi, don't lick doorknobs, avoid sick people).  It was fitting because the fabulous nurse, Anne, who checked me in on my first day (May 28th) was also the nurse to take care of me on my last (June 11th).  As it turns out, it was her last day too, she's moving back to Michigan tomorrow! The last thing I parted with was my PICC line.  It was good to have my right arm free of that jewelry...it was such a lifesaver for me these past few weeks.  We packed up, and I said goodbye to some of the best nurses and staff on the 16th floor of Prentice Women's Hospital.


I took a  picture of Craig from my 16th floor window on his way to buy "bye-bye bagels" for the nurses



Goodbye room 1690!

It was a little surreal walking out of those double doors for the first time in two weeks.  On one hand you're beyond thrilled, but on the other, it's a little terrifying leaving this floor where the staff take every precaution to avoid infection.  Depending on your infection risk, new gloves, gown and mask are worn every time a nurse/physician/tech enters the room, the air is specially filtered, your food is specially cooked, you're required to wear protective clothing when walking the hall...it really is your little bubble. So I left this bubble, with nothing but a suitcase, a bald head, 1800 white blood cells, a headache, and a husband who was clearing the way.  Thankfully, he chose not to take the 16 flights of stairs down, and we did resist the urge to get one last photo in the Prentice lobby with our favorite security guard.

We had a short walk to our apartment, and I took in the not-so-fresh, big, city air (it was glorious), felt the cool breeze on my face, smelled the beautiful flowers blooming in the park, observed several dogs being walked (I had to resist my urge to pet them), saw an ongoing tennis match and heard some elementary kids having P.E. in the open field.  I simply took a moment to enjoy the hustle and bustle of humanity in this world famous city.  It was a good day to be alive!

Now, we pack up the apartment, get my medical records in order, catch up on some sleep in a regular bed, make sure my body doesn't reject my new, non-hospital environment, have a celebratory dinner and then fly home Friday afternoon!  Phase 4- Transplant is complete!


Today, I'm thankful to be walking out of the hospital on my own two feet, with my MS turned off! Wow!



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the lack of sleep and the stress this entire process puts on your body finally caught up with me.  I found myself in bed at 7:30pm.  Craig mentioned something about finally buying that Ferrari and the 38 million dollar penthouse at the Trump, but when I awoke this morning I didn't have a message from the bank informing me of my gross overdraft, so he must have just gone for a walk instead.  Thank goodness!  Maybe he used the corporate card!  Thanks ESO!




Near the water not in it...that's a no-no!

We ran a few errands and I took a stroll outside.  It's a beautiful Chicago day and I wanted to enjoy my new found freedom.  We did our old walk along the river and I found myself needing to take frequent breaks at the benches.  Amy told me that for the next few weeks I would probably be pretty fatigued (who knew), and I can see what she means now.  I'm glad that when we return home tomorrow, we have some time to rest, recoup, regroup and relax.   Craig doesn't have to return to work for a bit, which is great (thanks partners) as I will be fatigued and start outpatient meds and need labs, etc. We have a lab puppy and two kids on summer break, enough said.  I can't wait to love on my kids and love on them again, and then some more after that.  It's time to heal...let's get started!

Today I'm thankful for a good nights sleep in a very comfortable bed, sans the 2am lab draw and vital signs!  Maybe I'll be crazy and stay up till 8pm tonight!  

~Veronica






6 comments:

  1. We can't wait to have you home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love, Emma and Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippeee! Coming home! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veronica...such great news! Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Blessings as you continue to heal :) - Karen (a friend of your Aunt Sharon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My Aunt Sharon is an amazing woman. I'm glad she's your friend!

      Delete

Leave a comment