Wednesday, May 7, 2014

chemo...eeewwwww

I was discharged yesterday afternoon and our little apartment never looked so good!  I was told that I probably wouldn't feel any effects from the chemo until the following morning, and that rang true for me.  Zofran is my friend, nausea...not so much.  It's hard to explain, but I know my dad will understand....chemo makes you feel like crap!  It was tough to walk around the Oncology floor and see the families having conferences with the Doctors, etc.  Again, just a reminder of so many others in worse circumstances.  Plus, we were in the women's hospital so they would call overhead things like, "neonatal resuscitation team to room whatever" and "airway team STAT to room wherever".  Can you imagine me using the nurse call button to say, "Could you bring some ativan to room 1493...for my husband?".  I'm just kidding....sort of.  Seriously, one floor with folks likely at the end of their lives and another floor with little ones fighting at the start of theirs.





We saw another familiar face yesterday.  Jeff Disney was in town for an ABEM oral board meeting.  It was great for Craig to have a mental health break as he and Jeff had a nice dinner . I opted out and treated myself to another Zofran.  Although the the treatment may be hard on me physically, I know it's hard on Craig emotionally to see me go through this and not be able to spring into action.  The ER world works much faster and more efficiently than a hospital floor. Did I mention that he doesn't like to sit still for longer than 15 minutes?  I think he's found every possible secret passage, walkway, elevator...he's left no stone unturned. It would be fun to watch the security tapes..."where is he going now, why is he in the parking garage, is that the illegal photographer?".



Now, I just wait. That's fun. Waiting...eeeww! My blood counts will start to drop and will be at their lowest around Monday.  I don't have a ton of restrictions, but I do need to be careful and wash my hands and wash them again and maybe one more time after that.  No buffets, no salad bars, stuff like that...no sushi. Today we were hoping to swim in the Chicago River and catch and eat raw fish, so I guess that's out. To all my prayer warriors, please pray I avoid any bugs/germs/general nastiness that would cause me to spike a fever and have to visit the good people at Northwestern ER.  

Today I'm thankful again for Craig!   My blog is a collaborative effort .  He's a great editor/contributor and makes this blog much funnier than it would be.  After the hospital room, I'm thankful for my quiet, small, safe little apartment!  I'm also thankful for the outpouring of love and support we continue to receive from all of you!  It's humbling, motivating and frankly, brings tears to my eyes!

~Veronica

5 comments:

  1. It should be illegal to look this cute while getting chemo! Love you, sweet pea! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you Mommy!!!! You are my everything!!!!!!
    P.S Happy Early Mother's Day! (when you get home I have some little somethings for you!) Love,Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweet Emma, you are mine! I love you forever and ever and all day long! Looking forward to all the other Mother's Days we will have together! Love love love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Blog, Amazing Attitude, Wonderful People! Hang in there this weekend! Our thoughts are with you.
    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your blog from SF--watched our eldest get married yesterday. Though I've met you only in passing, Veronica, I do know Craig's ED personality (legendary). He must be "losing his gourd," as my 81 year old dad would say. Hospitals should incorporate treadmills into their design for guys like him, a circular device like the hamsters use. Amusing for the patient and stress relief for the loved one.

    I'm praying for those cells of yours to bust a move and start doing what they're supposed to do so that you can get on with things!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment