Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Countdown

Around here they call yesterday T minus 5.  I've had lots of meds (and let's not forget the lesions in my brain), but I think that makes today T minus four.  We are on the countdown to my stem cell infusion on day 0.  We shall commemorate each day with a different photo of me in my new home. Yes, we are taking photos...No, none will involve speedos.  I have a beautiful room on the 16th floor with another spectacular view of the Northwestern campus.  We are on the 16th floor because they are currently remodeling the 15th floor, and I'm not sure all this noise qualifies as Chicago jazz! Maybe they are filming another Batman movie down there...



                                                       T- minus 5


I received several pre-chemo cocktails...sounds much more glamorous than it was.  I was given my first of four doses of Cytoxan, followed by my first of five doses of rATG (here they just call it rabbit).  I'm still receiving 24 hour infusions of Mesna (to prevent the bladder irritation from Cytoxan) and many doses of Lasix...oh joy!  Not a lot of sleep around here, but I did see the inside of my bathroom quite a bit (it's bigger than the one in our apartment).  Hey, it beats a urinary catheter any day!


T-minus 5 and a little loopy from the pre-chemo pharmaceutical cocktails

So today (-4) will be a repeat of yesterday.  Same cocktails same chemo...you get the idea.  Amy (Dr. Burt's fabulous Nurse Practitioner) told me that patients usually feel the worst on day 0 (transplant day) and day +1.  It definitely helps knowing what to expect in the days ahead.  Today, I'm a little tired and queazy, but very manageable.  I've already showered and figured out how to change clothes while being hooked to a four pump IV pole.  I also went out on my own urban, 16th floor, chemo hike that was radically different than Michigan Avenue.  Hopefully, however, this will be my Magnificent Mile.  Craig was so proud.  I was wearing a blue bandana...I hope I don't start a chemo floor war with some red bandana folks. My room is on the south wing...south side strong side! I have a syringe full of air and I won't be afraid to use it in your PICC line!! Hey, man, what's your white count??? You think you've got enough platelets to tangle with me?? Ativan for everyone...

Craig thought Trump Tower coming out of my head was a nice touch

Today I'm thankful for my beautiful sister, Jennifer!   She is constantly sending me funny and inspiring texts, along with beautiful pictures and words of encouragement.  I feel the love!  I'm blessed to have you as my cuppy-cake, gum drop, schnookum-shpookum, sister!  She is a computer genius and is a big reason this blog looks and functions as good as it does.  I love you so and I want you to know that I'll always be right here!  Offeffer, (that's what I called her when I was little), you're the best sister ever!  I look forward to celebrating with you and Sean soon!


        Chicago 2013 for my initial evaluation with Dr. Burt

~Veronica

2 comments:

  1. Sean and I will look forward to an epic celebration with you and Craig...very soon! We are cheering you on from Boston!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey V, pulling for you hard from over here in VA! Are you still wearing your "strong, blessed, awesome" socks? You could get crazy and wear strong on the left and blessed on the right. Or awesome on the left and strong on the right. I'm sure pur 5th graders could calculate the number of combinations. Hey...was wondering about that very cool poster over your bed? LOVE R

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment