Saturday, May 10, 2014

Next phase...neupogen

Just a quick update to let you all know that I'm feeling good and most of the nausea has passed.  Today I started my first of six neupogen injections.  The neupogen tells my body to start producing white blood cells-PRONTO!  I also started Cipro and Diflucan, two antibiotics that will hopefully build a firewall for my upcoming plunge into neutropenia.  I'm trying not to be a germa-phobe, but it's difficult to not view everyone and everything as a potential pathogen.  I think Craig would draw the line if I asked him to don a hazmat suit while being in my presence...I'm sure they sell them on amazon.

            This seems to be a safe distance to converse and do business with one's mate!

My blood test on Monday will show how far my counts have dropped.  I feel like I can hear my immune system chanting the limbo phrase, "How low can you go?", "How low can you go?".  Dr. Burt and his team tell me that after bottoming out on Monday my immune system, with the help of the neupogen, will come roaring back so that on Thursday I will be ready for the harvest phase of this process.  I know you're all waiting with baited breath!  So Craig and I continue to wait and I will resist the urge to lick door handles, hug random strangers and purchase sushi from a gas station!

We've been blessed with a few nice days in Chicago, and I have no activity restrictions so I've joined Craig on his therapy walks.  He pets every dog we meet, if allowed, and I've had to resist that urge.  Thanks Brian for taking care of our four legged child.

Thank you for all the prayer coverage.  I'm still infection and fever free!  Thank you Lord!  Please continue to pray that the germs stay away and my immune system does indeed come roaring back and I knock the number of stem cells needed for harvest out of the park!

Today I'm so thankful for modern technology that allows Craig and I the ability to FaceTime with Emma and Luke!  I believe I've come to appreciate the inside of my sons nose and tongue in a whole new way.  Hearing about their day, seeing their silly faces and listening to the trials of a typical 5th grade girl, make the distance between us not so painful.  I miss them with a longing that is palpable, but I'm so thankful this is temporary, and I'm so proud of how well they are handling all of this!  Emma and Luke, we love you forever and ever and all day long!


With Mother's Day tomorrow, I have to take a minute to be thankful for several moms in my life. I know too many great moms to mention, so I will just keep it to family today.  My sister, Jennifer, who's had her fair share of lemons, but remains an outstanding mom, sister and friend.  She is at her oldest daughters college graduation as I type this (We're proud of you, Bri!").  My sister-in-law, Rita, also no lemon stranger, who's holding down the Raymond fort on the East Coast.  My mother-in-law, Judy, also no lemon stranger, who raised two boys like Chris and Craig (who just finished another sandwich from the groceries she brought us).  Mom's are awesome!  I know my  mom's first instinct would be to take the chemo and the MS for me if she could, but instead, she's giving me a much greater gift by caring and loving on my kids when I can't! This momma's heart can relax and focus on the Chicago side of things.  As Kevin Durant said in his recent, heartfelt speech..."Mom, you're the real MVP!".  I love you mom, with all of my heart!  Happy Mother's Day!






~Veronica


2 comments:

  1. Hi Veronica - Say the word and the Haz Mat gear is on its way to Chicago! Suit, PAPR, filters, batteries, boots, gloves, chemtape - it would definately be a "look" different from any other as Craig walks the streets of Chicago (running might be a little challenging, even for Craig). Prayers for you every day - hope today is a good one!
    Denise Banta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next mom's day will be spent surrounded by love, hugs and germs.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment